I have tried to explain that although the terms
counterpoint/contrapuntal, polyphony/polyphonic are to some extent synonymous, in common usage polyphony has more specific connotations. It is used to refer to music from before approximately 1600 which is in several separate, continuous, individual parts. Counterpoint is used in a more general sense to refer to any music in any context in two or more parts.

This really makes me doubt if you have read the full article in Grove.

I doubt whether you have read it and if you have I doubt whether you have understood it.

There are other places than the circles where you were trained, obviously. It seems that for you the terms polyphony and counterpoint have a narrow, and perhaps regional meaning. There is so much written on the subject, in more than 5 ages. You seem to think of just 16th-century continuous contrapuntal style.

This just goes to show that you haven't read or understood a word that I am saying or are deliberately trying to misrepresent it in a way that is disingenious. What I have said is that it is polyphony that has a narrower specific meaning, not counterpoint. It is better to use the term counterpoint because it refers to part writing in a much wider context.

We could proceed in here Dutch, if
you like.

This list is conducted in English. I wouldn't presume to tell you what was the correct terminology to use in Dutch or to try and discredit what you were saying by suggesting that you don't know what you were talking about.

That is the last resort of some one too pettty minded to bother about.

Monica