Thank you for replying at length. It's interesting about the teeth - as they often had rather bad ones in the 18th-19th century. In "Pride and prejudice" (which I know almost off by heart) Miss Bingley says of Elizabeth Bennett "Her teeth are tolerable" when commenting on her appearance. At the ripe old age of about 20 she probably still had some. Not something we would comment on today!

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 2:43 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Arch-cittern or rather Lute-guitar

  Dear Monica,

  Yes - I suspect it's a misprint. C below the bass clef is quite low
  enough for gut strings of such modest length.

  I also don't think it right to call it an arch-cittern: Jordan probably
  called it a lute (she is described playing 'the lute' in contemporary
  reports as Peter's paper points out). The instrument depicted is
  similar to the large number of these extant theorboed type of
  instruments which were invented (especially in France, as well as
  England) during the final decades of the 18th century and continued
  into the first few of the 19th primarily for Drawing Room use.  Many of
  these have the same basic characteristics: single strings, strings of
  gut, typically 7 fingered strings - as Jordan's, varying nos of basses
  from 4 to 14 eg see Baines Nos 326, 332, 334. Baines calls them by
  various names including arch-guitar and harp guitar.  And, of course,
  by around 1800 the whole thing had degenerated into things like the
  Harp-lute-guitar (most famously in England associated with Light and
  Ventura - but other makers cashed in on the fad).

  Baines thinks the early instruments (say 1770 1800) were tuned like the
  English guitar with first six strings in a chord (of C) and this makes
  sense, but I also think we tend to underestimate the importance of
  these sort of instruments in continental, especially pre-revolutionary
  French (and Flanders), culture and they might have also tuned the
  highest courses in a chord but at a lower nominal pitch (say in A like
  the contemporary French cistre which, of course did have metal strings
  and double strings to each course and many also had free bases see
  Baines again).

  I think by c 1800 in France (and England) more of these were being
  tuned like the newly popular guitar and, indeed, much music says it is
  for lute or guitar.  I think the best modern name for them is
  lute-guitar combining the early notion of 'antick' instruments and the
  modern style of play in a guitar fashion. For the latter see the
  example of 'The Blue Bells of Scotland' which employs simple and
  typical guitar arpeggios for a piece labelled as for 'GUITAR or LUTE'.

  By chance I had a communication only yesterday with someone else on the
  same sort of subject which is why, I guess,  I'm writing at length. One
  thing is clear: it took someone quite outside the lute and guitar world
  to look at these instruments with a fresh eye - a good area for a post
  grad paper with v little competition.

  A later instrument, often called the 'bass guitar' is not really the
  same at all (tho superficially similar and thus a good candidate to
  confuse museum curators) since it developed from the 6 string guitar in
  the 1820s through works of people like Mertz, Coste, Dubez et

  Finally can you spot anything about Dorothy Jordan from the painting? -
  she is painted with her mouth closed ( as so many people were
  historically). I suspect this might be because she had few upper teeth
  - see her upper lip line.......  but she was not alone....

  rgds

  Martyn