     From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Playing full chords on the lute
     wasRenaissance Guitar Podcast
     To: "Lute List" <l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Vihuelalist"
     <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Saturday, 5 March, 2011, 12:58

   Dear All,
   Sorry to disappoint but I'm not sure what I was doing either!  I'm
   pretty sure I didn't do any backward raking with the first finger,
   though this is something which I do like to do in some contexts (e.g.
   in order of play, a6, c5, c4 with thumb, then c3, c4 with first finger,
   then a2, a1 with second and third fingers - the "seven note six-note
   chord").  Remember even when you play bass to treble, if you have
   octaves (as I do on 5th and 6th courses) you get a lot of notes flying
   around anyway.
   I've always wondered about whether we should be "rolling" chords at all
   - I think it's Robinson who talks about playing full chords "plump
   together" or something like that.  Le Roy describes playing 5-note
   chords using either thumb or first finger for the extra note, and
   six-note chords using both, but I don't remember whether he says
   anything about simultaneity.
   French 11-course music has lots of 4-note chords, which presumably were
   played using "raking" of some sort rather than using the ring finger as
   many do today.
   Kapsberger (who didn't use the ring finger at all) marks appegiation on
   chords in his theorbo music where the context seems impossible, even
   for a rapidly rolled chord.
   In general, I think modern players are much too inclined to roll
   chords.  In polyphonic music, it just seems wrong - you can just
   imagine the choirmaster shouting at the tenors for being late, or the
   basses for being ahead of the beat.  But it takes a lot of skill to
   play chords absolutely together while controlling the tone of the
   individual voices - a project which is one of many I continue to
   grapple with....
   Best wishes,
   Martin
   On 05/03/2011 12:35, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
   >     Dear Stuart,
   >
   >     Not commenting on this particular performance by Martin S but on
   the
   >     new general point you raise regarding playing full chords on the
   lute.

   >     You seem to be describing a style of playing chords which was
   ubiqitous
   >     in the 17th century (later than in 3056) but not quite as you
   report.
   >     The technique, as described best by Mace, is to start the upward
   (ie
   >     towards one's head not upwards as in pitch) stroke with the index
   (and
   >     followed with the second if you're so inclined) at the SAME time
   as the
   >     bass note is 'pinched' (aka plucked) by the thumb.
   >
   >     However I would agree that one rarely finds this style followed
   by
   >     modern lutenists who invariably seem to prefer the 'rolled' chord
   (a la
   >     Segovia) rather than that advocated by 17th century lutenists.
   The

   Walsh<[2][7]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>  wrote:
   >     >>
   >     >>      From: Stuart Walsh<[3][8]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   >     >>      Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Renaissance Guitar Podcast
   >     >>      To: "Martyn Hodgson"<[4][9]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   >     >>      Cc: "JocelynNelson"<[5][10]nels...@ecu.edu>,
   "Vihuelalist"
   >     >>  <[6][11]vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >     >>      Date: Friday, 4 March, 2011, 10:56
   >     >>
   >     >>    On 04/03/2011 09:14, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
   >     >>  >      Dear Stuart,
   >     >>  >
   >     >>  >      I'm sorry to have to write like this, but did you not
   follow
   >     the
   >     >>  >      postings I made when this was discussed earlier
   (months ago)?
   >     - I
   >     >>  >      pointed out some specific strum signs in mid 16th
   century 4
   >     >>    course
   >     >>  >      books. Two examples I recall giving are La Seraphine
   from
   >     >>    Morlaye's 4th
   >     >>  >      book of 1552 and a Paduanne on page 16..........
   >     >>  >
   >     >>  >      I think I understand that your personal preference is
   to pluck
   >     >>    all this
   >     >>  >      stuff but I wouldn't have thought this should outweigh
   >     >>    considerations
   >     >>  >      of the actaul evidence. It really is pointless
   responding to
   >     >>    these
   >     >>  >      things only to find that months later it seems to have
   not
   >     been
   >     >>    read.
   >     >>    Martyn,
   >     >>    I think we all suffer from this! Many - well, several -
   times I've
   >     >>    noticed that later messages in a thread where I have
   contributed
   >     have
   >     >>    clearly missed what seemed to me a key point which I had
   carefully
   >     >>    explained (or so I thought). It's the nature of the medium.
   And
   >     it's in
   >     >>    the nature of the medium for threads to go off in different
   >     directions.
   >     >>    I was interested to discuss/chat about the practice of
   strumming
   >     chord
   >     >>    sequences well before the 1550s (as Jocelyn seemed to be
   >     suggesting) -
   >     >>    but it's not happening.
   >     >>    I'm surprised that I'd completely forgotten that you had
   given
   >     definite
   >     >>    evidence for strumming in the four-course repertoire. There
   is a
   >     news
   >     >>    item today that scientists can now grow brain cells - so
   I'm

   [13]http://uk.mc263.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=s.wa...@ntlworld.com
   [14]http://uk.mc263.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=s.wa...@ntlworld.com
   >     4.