     From: Nelson, Jocelyn <nels...@ecu.edu>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Granata
     To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>, "Vihuelalist"
     <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 13 April, 2011, 22:26

      Hi Martyn and List,
      Martyn said:
      "I think it would have been usual to employ a small chamber organ if
      any
         realisation was thought necessary rather than the bowed bass
   trying
         realise the harmonies."
      Remember, though, that the early (17th and early 18th c?) cello
   played
      chords; it was built differently enough to make chords accessible
   and
      was considered a foundation instrument for a time. I don't recall
      offhand when this changed, though, and I don't know whether this
      pertains to this music in particular.
      Best,
      Jocelyn
      --