     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Granata
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Friday, 15 April, 2011, 17:56

   Dear Martin
   Unfortunately I am not familiar with any of these sources!
   As a general observation however, I think that all these sources
   suggest
   that  a
   variety of different accompaniments and arrangements could be
   used.   You
   can't lay down hard and fast rules because in the 17th century they
   didn't
   have any. Interestingly Piccinini apparently
   suggests that some of his pieces could be played on the lute and organ
   with
   basso continuo or chitarrone and organ although no parts for these
   instruments are included in the printed book. [I have a recording of
   some of
   the pieces played in this way].
   As far as unambiguous (17th c) references
   to the guitar playing basso continuo together with other bass
   instruments is
   concerned  - is there any unamibiguous evidence that it didn't.   Why
   should
   it not do so?   We don't really have any evidence one way or the other.
   There seem to me to be completely unrealistic expectations as to what
   any of
   the sources ought to tell us.
   Monica