Dear Martyn,
thanks for your patience

  Your response seemed, to me, to say that you did indeed think that an
  alfabeto asequence was created to which tunes (and bass) were later
  added. If I now understand you, yopu do not think this was the case and
  agree with me that in these light airs the tune would have generally
  come first to which harmony was later added.

We seem to almost agree. I suppose that composition is more of a gradual process, with mutual influence of melody and harmony.

  Rehgarding Il Verno - yes I am sure. A hemiola in just the upper part
  is by no means unkown in the Italian repertoire (vocal and
  instrumental) of the period. Look at Bounamente, Falconierio et al. It
  also works very well in practice. We should not always aim to smooth
  out these passing things as the 19th/20th century arrangers sometimes
  attempted

Indeed not. But with voice + alfabeto the hemiola would coincide, while with voice + alfabeto + bass I see more difficulty

best, Lex