On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:44 PM, Monica Hall wrote:

   I think this particular chord is meant to be E = D minor.   A D major
   chord
   sounds odd to me.   If you look on page 55 (if you can) you can see a
   similarly shaped E.

   I only have pages 25-32.

    The shapes of the letters vary a bit because of the
   way the music is engraved and printed.   The same is true of the D at
   the
   beginning - the Ds vary a bit.

   Dm makes great musical sense, especially given the preceding three
   bars. I don't know how the engraving process works, I thought they were
   hand scratched on brass or something, but if that curving line line was
   a separate element and moved down and to the left it would make an 'e'.

   Lettere tagliate have nothing whatsoever to do with leaving out the 5th
   course when using a bourdon on that course and do not indicate the
   method of
   string the composer required.   This is just a myth. Bartolotti is the
   one
   person who does use lettere tagliate and the reason for this is usually
   because it is necesrary to leave out the 5th course and refinger the
   chord
   to accommodate passing notes although he is not entirely consistent.

   Couldn't quite remember the word. So what does it mean?

   Thank you very much Monica.
   Ed Durbrow
   Saitama, Japan
   [1]http://www.musicianspage.com/musicians/9688/