   From: Monica Hall <[2]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:14:40 +0000
   To: Vihuelalist <[3]vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Guitar bridges

   Thank you very much for that information - most helpful.   I think my
   slots
   are rather like  yours as far as I can tell.   They go right down to
   the
   table in front but  not at the back.
   I was given to understand with a slotted bridge  the surface area of
   the
   bridge in contact with table was much less than with a modern guitar
   and
   presumably a lute and that this favoured treble strings at expense of
   the
   bass ones.   I was wondering whether this kind of bridge is definitely
   characteristic of baroque guitars or whether it is just a matter of
   personal
   preference.
   How do we tell whether the bridges of surviving guitars are the
   originals?
   It raises quite a few questions for me anyway.
   Monica