> Hmmm  .. we agree that it makes plucking just the lower of the
   octave
      pair easier if one wishes to do this (eg possibly in scalic passages
      from the third to the 4th course),

   ...and of course in polyphony (or, as some say in Britain,
   counterpoint).

   > But it makes things like campanella
      play trickier - where one wishes much of the sound to be in the same
      register as the upper course notes of the passage.

   Isn't that very much a matter of technique? It still remains perfectly
   possible to bring out the high ocaves convincingly. And there arealso
   lots of campanelas in music for 'French' tuning, which stillhas one
   bourdon. Since there seems to be no historic information at all about
   leaving out the bourdons in 'cascading scalar passages' I think we
   should be careful with supposing that that was the norm. We just don't
   know

   >So I'm really not
      so sure about the general desirability of what you suggest below -
   this
      seems to me to be advocating the dubious position of always
   requiring a
      low 'bass' line rather than simply accepting the unique idiomatic
   sound
      of the period instrument.

   Who advocates that there should always be sounding a low bass? That is
   certainly not what I intend to say. Also with an octave string adjusted
   lower at the bridge it is well possible to mainly bring out the treble
   strings. It's not a matter of black or white.

   And what if someone like the champion of campanelas (Bartolotti) would
   have preferred to use bourdons? I know some on this list do not believe
   that, but I feel there are enough reasons to take this as an serious
   option.

   It seems to me that the 'unique idiomatic sound of the period
   instrument' could well be a modern paradigm. Would a guitar with
   bourdons not be capable to produce that unique sound?

   Lex