But if we pluck THROUGH the course, (ie parallel to the plane of the
  belly) one can achieve a much greater amplitude without the string
  slapping rattleing on the fingerboard/belly and thus will have a strong
  bass (as well as its octave) - as I think, the Old Ones  would have
  generally expected.....

There is not much disagreement about this. I only would add that striking parallel is perhaps not always the best solution. Probably not in campanelas and, reversely, also not when playing a bass on a baroque guitar. And I think that, on adjacent courses, striking completely parallel (all 4 strings involved) with both thumb and fingers is not really easy. Lex