Ralf makes a great case that we can't assume "chitarrino" means
   "guitar" (I must try that pasta sometime), but maybe there's a bit of
   evidence here in what Lex says that shows the 4-course guitar was still
   active in the 17^th century, even in printed music.

   Jocelyn

   Well, Oliver Strunk writes "chitarrino". As far as I know,

   chitarrino, 4 course "renaissance guitar", was not at all unknown in

   Italy in times of Agazzari...

   Hmm, as if there where a fixed terminology at that time ... Thank's to
   those silly humanists writers, from the end of the 15. century on
   writers started to use 'chitarra' for all sorts of stinged instuments
   (plucked). So we have chitarra for 'lute' (Tincoris), harp (Glarean),
   (renaissance) guitar etc. Not to forget chitarrone (literally: huge
   chitarra). It might even be that Sgn. Agazzari wants to make a
   distinction between the chitarrone and smaller (treble) lutes here. To
   limit the translation of 'citarrin[a/o]' to "renaissance guitar" seems
   bold.

   But I have never heard about

   "chitarrina", but of course that does not exclude its existence... ;-)

   Then you missed something - yummy italian pasta!! [1]
   And not even totally off-topic here since the name probably refers to
   the production process: pressing some pasta dough through a wired frame
   (somehow like an oversized egg-cutter) that might remind one of a
   harp (->chitarra) :-)
   Cheers, Ralf Mattes