Having a quick look at Meucci's article again there are a few other
   things which I think need to  be clarified.

   The first of these is that in Millioni's 1631 book the 4-course
   instrument is referred to as

   "il Chitarrino, overo Chitarra Italiana" which suggests that it was a
   small lute rather than  a 4-course guitar.

   Meucci points out that the first edition of the contemporary Italian
   dictionary Vocabolario della Crusca printed in 1612 defines the
   Chitarra as "a kind of lute, which lacks the bass and soprano".

   He gives a lot of other examples where it is clear that the Chitarra
   Italiana was a small lute.

   Giustiniani also distinguishes between the chitarra alla spagnola and
   the chitarra napolitana.

   Stuart mentioned Calvi's book.   The pieces in tablature are preceded
   by the note "Le seguenti Suonate servire anche per la chitarriglia, ma
   sono veramente per la Chitarra".   Although Meucci doesn't mention this
   instance it seems to me that the "Chitarra" here is also a small
   lute.   The music is quite different from other music for 5-course
   instrument.   No strummed chords and no 6/4 chords either.

   You can't assume that the term "chitarra" refers to the 5-course
   guitar.

   As ever

   Monica