Agazzari was working in Rome and Siena, and probably the chitarra spagnuola was more widely known there around 1600. But Agazzari's 'Del sonare sopra il basso' is really about figured bass and counterpoint, and from how he describes the use of the 'ornamental' instruments it appears that the chordal style of the guitar is not within sight. I doubt if Agazzari would have considered the alfabeto of the guitar as a 'foundation', while the bass is not even performed on the guitar.

I think you are interpreting what he says in too narrow a way. Amongst the second group of instruments he has included the Lirone, Cetera and the Pandora. These are all instruments which are capable of filling in the harmony to some extent. There is no reason to suppose that they played nothing but a single lin - what would the point be - and the same is true of the chitarrina. It could be strumming away in there!

Agazzari (in Strunk) says: 'Like ornaments are those which, in a playful and _contrapuntal_ fashion, make the harmony more agreeable and sonorous.' The instruments with 'imperfect harmony [of the parts] such as the cetera, lirone, chitarrina, etc.' could indeed have played more than one voice at a time, although single line should also be considered possible. But I assume that Agazzari would have expected that also this was done 'in a contrapuntal fashion.' And yes, on the cetera and chitarrina that could possibly mean strumming. It seems unlikely however that a chordal style, continuously including all courses of the instrument, was intended

Lex