Dear Eloy,

   I'm very much with Monica on this: what little evidence we have (such
   as Millioni) suggests a certain refinement in strumming ("... in this
   way the music will be  rendered more sweetly."). And the iconography (
   not much to go on I confess) seem to predominate with people playing in
   quite a dignified posture as befitting their station.

   I think the great danger is looking back and assuming a later style was
   generally employed in earlier times. So that, for example, the exciting
   cross rythms found in Murcia's Spanish dances (post-1700) with their
   wonderful and intricate cross rythms and the like becomes a fertile
   breeding ground for the modern imagination ('thrashing about') - but
   not often, I suggest, to the advantage of the music itself.

   Moulinie's fine collection of 1629 with some songs to the guitar is
   often overlooked, being neither a Spanish or Italian source. But we
   must recall that Francois XIII's wife Anne of Austria was a Spanish
   infanta and introduced Spanish tastes to the French court. Moulinie
   employed tablature in block chords since, presumably, so few in Paris
   at the time were familar with alfabeto. But this is a benefit in
   disguise allowing us to clearly see the strumming pattern he expected
   with each chord - another useful guide to early 17th century guitar
   performing practice. Incidentally he calls his 5 course instrument just
   plain ' guitarre' without any Spanish qualifier..

   regards

   Martyn