Thank you.   That's all fascinating.   What a lot I  never knew!

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Braig, Eugene" <brai...@osu.edu> To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:26 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Adjustable 19th-century guitar necks [was: Russian 'romance' for 7-string guitar]

Again, sorry for MS Outlook's default reply. (if I reply at the bottom, Outlook does not insert extra >-s, so my reply would become indistinguishable from the last note without manual insertions at each line. I so miss Eudora.)

The detachable-neck thing largely came of Austrian/Germanic guitars in the early 1820s and is sometimes attributed to the virtuoso Legnani's (1790-1877) commissions from the Staufer/Stauffer shop in Vienna. Such guitars (at least the 6-string, mainstream European varieties) are even often referred to as "Legnani model," and some of them from the Stauffer shop are so labeled. The style was even carried to early production of classical guitars in the US via C.F. Martin's shop (a protégé of Stauffer) starting in 1833.

As much as anything, the clock-key mechanism installed in the heel of such guitars is to allow easy adjustments to action/neck angle without needing to perform minor surgery to the bridge or major surgery to the head block. The fact that the neck is also thus removable is convenient byproduct (e.g., I've never seen a travel case built to accommodate such a guitar with neck detached, and I've seen a lot of such guitars in cases). You wouldn't pop the neck off when under tension or fully strung.

Coincidence and unrelated to the adjustable neck, but many such guitars also had a "scroll-in-profile" headstock with all tuners arrayed along one side. You can see one of my own such pieces here: http://earlyguitar.ning.com/photo/photo/search?q=placht (this a guitar by the Placht Brothers--Gebrüder Placht--of Pest before the city's unification into Budapest). Here is a piece by Glaesel of Markneukirchen (currently owned by a friend of mine) with a more "universal"-type peghead of the time, but with the adjustable neck and clock-key port in the heel visible from a couple angles: http://www.demosguitars.com/index.php/Guitars/vintage/karl_august_glaesel/. You can see a slew of such things here: http://www.earlyromanticguitar.com/erg/builders.htm#Staufer (all this paragraph's links to the more mainstream European, 6-string variety).

Regarding the history of the 7-string guitar in Russia, here is a brief excerpt from Timofeyev's site (previously linked) regarding his dissertation (note that Oleg label's the early half of the 19th-c. as the "Golden Era" for this repertoire):

Dr. Oleg Timofeyev: Dissertation abstract
The Golden Age of the Russian Guitar: Repertoire, Performance Practice, and Social Function of the Russian Seven-String Guitar Music, 1800-1850, PhD diss., Duke U., 1999. 584 p.
Order from UMI: UMI AAI9928880

Abstract: This dissertation is the first scholarly attempt in any language to address the all-but-forgotten Russian seven-string guitar tradition. The most distinctive feature of this instrument is its "open-chord" tuning (D G B d g b d'). In chapter one, a number of organological links are discussed that shed light on the origin of the instrument, arguing that the Russian guitar was the result of a cross-fertilization between the Spanish guitar and the 18th-century cittern. Numerous examples from literature, personal diaries, and visual arts collected in chapter two document the important role this guitar played for the Russian noble and middle class during the first half of the nineteenth century. Chapter three presents in detail the lives and works of the three guitarists-composers who founded the unique musical style for the instrument: Andrei Sychra, Semion Aksionov, and Mikhail Vysotsky. The variety of ways in which Russian folk songs were incorporated into their works! presents the special focus of chapter four, since it is precisely this inclusion of folk material that gives the repertoire its particularly Russian sound. Finally, in chapter five the musical climate among the guitarists of the 1840s (Morkov, Liakhov, Sarenko, Vetrov, Zimmerman) is discussed, with emphasis on their connection to the works of the previous generation. A translation of the entire text of Mikhail Stakhovich's 1854 "Essay on the History of the Seven-String Guitar" is appended, since this text is a unique testimony of an active participant and first historian of the tradition. On the accompanying CD, twenty short compositions from this tradition are recorded.

..And I don't believe I've remembered to say so yet, but thanks for sharing another lovely performance, Stuart.

Best,
Eugene