   From: Monica Hall <[1]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   Date: Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:07 PM
   To: WALSH STUART <[2]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   Cc: Vihuelalist <[3]vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Three Playford tunes from Princess Anne's "lute"
   book

   Well - Please note that it is not a Dutch manuscript although it is now
   in a
   Dutch Library - the Nederlands Muziekinstituut in the Hague, and the
   call
   mark is NL:DHnmi Kluis D 1.  The manuscript belonged to our  English
   Queen
   Anne and was
   copied and bound before she came to the throne in 1702.  She was the
   younger
   daughter of James II and was taught the guitar by Corbetta. The
   manuscript
   includes
   arrangements of a number of Purcell pieces which date from the 1690s so
   can
   be dated fairly precisely to between 1695-1700.
   It is not known who copied the manuscript or arranged the pieces but I
   agree - they
   aren't particularly idiomatic.
   Still - you have made a reasonably good jub of the ones you have
   recorded...
   There'll always be an England where there's a country lane.....Where
   did you
   take the photos?