Message recieved and understood. It does highlight the fact that we don't always understand one another and therefore get at cross purposes.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:14 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: G chord on Baroque Guitar

  I feel a need to clarify one thing.  In no way was I suggesting that
  alfabeto playing is somehow inferior to punteado.  What I meant is that
  the alfabeto schema that lays out the fingering for each chord is there
  to introduce players to the guitar so they can play pieces notated in
  alfabeto.  After becoming accomplished, the player would not refer to
  the alfabeto schema, but having internalized it, would simply read the
  music.  Same as guitarists do with chord charts today.  That's the
  sense in which I meant the alfabeto is there to get you going...  I
  meant the schema printed at the front of the book.
  Yes, improvisation must be appropriate.  That relies on scholarship --
  either your own, or more usually the collective scholarship of many,
  with helpful guidance from a teacher.  That's how moderns have to
  approach it.  In the day, improvisation was guided by the current
  tastes, written rules, and I can only imagine oral tradition to some
  degree.  But improvisation was part of the music.  As such, I can only
  imagine that while playing alfabeto, a player who had graduated from
  looking up chords in the schema would have fiddled around a bit.
  cud