To: "'Vihuelalist'" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:33 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Adam Ebert

This is a link to Adam Ebert's (Aulus Apronius) 'Reise-Beschreibung'.

http://vd18.de/de-slub-vd18/content/pageview/39885297

On p 251 I found the story about a cancelled performance of Corbetta,
because of a broken nail.

In Pinnell's 1976 dissertation there is an English translation, presumably
made by John Roberts. It appears that Pinnell had not consulted the
original text himself, and in Roberts' article 'Francisco Corbetta', in
'Guitar, the magazine for all guitarists' 1973 vol. 11 (which I don't
have), there (probably) are 2 passages that I tried to find in Ebert's
on-line text:

'Corbetta complained bitterly, that he had come from England with great
difficulty, and inasmuch as he had let people come from Italy on account
of the consort on his guarantee, he had to pay them afterwards out of his
own pocket.'

'Ebert had heard that Corbetta had written memoirs of the Courts in which
he had been. He therefore scraped acquaintance with Corbetta's daughter
[!], who had accompanied him; and once as Corbetta lay bedridden he
managed to borrow the Memoirs for a time in consideration of a cash
payment, presumably to Corbetta's daughter. As a result , his own book
draw no small advantage.'

As Pinnell (and presumably also Roberts) give no reference to the pages
(Ebert's book has 550 pages, and he uses Gothic script...), it is not so
easy to find the original texts on which this is based.

Actually, the part about Corbetta's bitter complaints could be a
(complete) misunderstanding of the last sentences on p. 251.
But the information about the Memoirs?

Anyone fluent in Gothic?

Lex