I have had in my hands a Mast guitar 'around 1780, with frets of bone,
   but I can't be certain that they were original, even it seemed to be
   so.
   Le Mercredi 6 novembre 2013 14h39, WALSH STUART <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   a ecrit :
   On 06/11/2013 11:28, Monica Hall wrote:
   >    Dear Collective Wisdom,,
   >

   >    When did fixed, rather than tied on frets become the norm on the
   >    guitar?
   >

   >    Monica
   Obviously, some time in the 18th century. The middle? The photo of
   James
   Tyler's "late eighteenth-century guitar: signed 'John Preston'" in The
   Early Guitar clearly shows tied on frets- which is surprising