The corpus of original guitars (not vihuelas) is often 'very large'. And low
octaves A and d seem to be an educated choice for Murcia, taking into
account the composers' work (1714) on basso continuo.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Namens
Martyn Hodgson
Verzonden: dinsdag 13 mei 2014 13:30
Aan: Monica Hall; Braig, Eugene
CC: Vihuelalist
Onderwerp: [VIHUELA] Re: Lorimer's bibliography? (ISBN 0-9618527-1-2

   Yes it is interesting. But it's surely not a 'very large' instrument:
   in fact, it looks relatively smaller than the picture of a vihuela
   played by Orpheus in Milan's collection.  Perhaps you mean it's bigger
   than most vihuelas played nowadays - but isn't that perhaps because of
   a modern belief that the instrument was generally in G at A440!...
   regards,
   Martyn