Thanks, Stuart!

From: WALSH STUART [s.wa...@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 1:37 PM
To: Nelson, Jocelyn; Vihuelalist
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] guitarists in 17th century Funchal (Madeira)

On 09/04/2015 16:29, Nelson, Jocelyn wrote:
> Thank you, Stuart. Where you there and took these yourself? If so, any
> eye-witness thoughts on whether these are 5-course guitars? I counted 4 pegs
> on a side of 2 of these pics, and 5 on one.
>
> Best.
> Jocelyn

Yes. I was there a couple of weeks ago. But the guitarists were high on
a (17th century)  chapel wall as it meets the ceiling and I didn't have
a tripod. It was impossible to see any details other than in the photos.
The convent guide had never noticed these images. It did seem strange to
have representations of guitar players in a chapel where nuns would pray
and meditate.

The four-string machete, well-documented in 19th century Madeira,
presumably had its roots in Portuguese guitar culture.

Stuart

> Jocelyn Nelson, DMA
> Teaching Assistant Professor
> Early Guitar, Music History
> Lute Society of America Board Member, Clerk
> 506 School of Music
> East Carolina University
> 252-328-1255 Office
> 252-328-6258 Fax