Thank you, Stuart!

From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] on behalf of WALSH
STUART [s.wa...@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:02 AM
To: Nelson, Jocelyn; Vihuelalist
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: a little dance for machete (1840s Madeira)

> Lovely: very sweet, sparkling tone!
>
> Who is Mrs. Christopher?
>
> Best,
> Jocelyn

Thanks Jocelyn.

If you scroll down this page:

http://machetista.blogspot.pt/

to the entry for August 2012, there is a section on the machete and two
photos of the MS belonging to Mrs Christopher: the cover and one page.

The MS now belongs to Manuel Morais and he has put some photos from the
MS on ning Early Guitar and Vihuela.

Many or all the the pieces in the MS, transcriptions not scans, are here:

http://www.recursosonline.org/

I don't know who Mrs Christopher is. Perhaps a British woman who was
studying the machete with a Madeiran teacher in the 1840s.

(there are some machete MSS in the Horniman Museum, London belonging to
a James Duff Gordon also from the 1840s - as are the Vasconcelos pieces)

Stuart

---