Yes, it is what I tried to do.
  To ensure this, I put the Makefile in a subdirectory not linked by
  other Makefile. So, the "make" must be manually activated on this
  directory.

sounds good

  But I'm not really sure abou one aspect: dependencies. Is this change
  brings some new dependencies?

well, if doxygen is not installed, then the makefile in the dox
directory will call doxygen and you'll get an error.

I would argue against making viking's configure.in look for doxygen, and
against suggesting to packagers that viking packages depend on doxygen.

  I whish to build something easy for packager and user: no more
  dependencies, nor time spent on building a internal/reference
  documentation.

sure, leaving the subdir out of top-level make sounds just fine.

Or, to get spiffier, top-level configure could have

  --enable-doxygen

and if so a) find doxygen and b) add the subdir to the make.

But I think just having it be manual is a good tradeoff.