>The default for tile age seems to be 30s.  This seems way too short.
>While someone actively mapping in OSM might want to reload, it seems
>like map tiles are relatively static over that kind of timescale.  I
>have set the tile age to 604800s (1 week).    It seems rude to OSM to
>recheck tiles more often than once a day, or maybe once an hour.

>For terraserver DRG and imagery, 1 week is perhaps too short - those
>bits are quite static.

>What's the motivation for 30s?  Would anyone object to changing it to 1
>week?

No idea why it was set to 30. Presumably because that's better than 1 second!

I thought the default was changed, but double checking shows it was just upping
the max allowable value in gui preference.

Maybe the value should be shown in days/hours.
I mean how useful is it to set it to 54320 seconds? - what does that even mean!

Agreed 1 week is much better, although personally I use 1 day (86400s) which
might be better for OSM type usage.

Another alternative could be to have another tile age for 'non-volatile'* maps
such as mentioned: terraserver, bing, etc...
*better name needed - stable?
Which would default to something like a month.