Hi,

2013/9/13 Robert Norris <rw_nor...@hotmail.com>

> Well, I'm nearing completion for 1.5 - which will now be after this coming
> weekend - to give anyone a chance to use the latest source.
>
> There is one last item I would appreciate feedback on (with this patch
> attached) - this hasn't be applied to the code repository yet...
>
> Originally I noticed I had spelt "license" 'wrong' - I had used
> "licence''. So I was just going to align the spelling, but then it got me
> thinking:
>
> Why do we introduce the "About this License" dialog, every time one adds a
> map?
>
> No other software as far as I know generates such a warning with an
> interruption to one's work flow.
>
> So instead I just shifted it to be an 'About' menu action from the map
> layer.
>
> Thus this license information is always available, which it wasn't before.

I introduced this "About this license" dialog. Originally, I do so because
it seems really really important to ensure user is informed about the
license related to data he works with. I don't know how other similar tools
treat such topic. I just know that some other tools working with license
(like Eclipse when you install plugins) insert a dialog where the user must
accept or decline license, even open-source related licenses.

It is good to have such info in a "About" menu, but this cannot be the only
solution as it is less informative: a not skilled user won't open such
dialog to discover subtilities of map's license, IMHO.

Perhaps can we keep an "in-the-flow" dialog, but storing the choice on disk
in order to avoid answering the same question again and again.
--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- JID: gu...@im.apinc.org MSN: guilhem_bonnefi...@hotmail.com