When I edit files with '.c' in them I end up in cmode.
Annoying thing is that this inlcudes "*.conf" files.

To the best of my recollection the only places that should put
me in C mode are:

    set c-suffixes '\.([ch]\|xs)$'

    define-majormode c
    remove-submode c cindent
    ~with define-submode c
        suffixes '\.[ch]$'
        notabinsert
        tabstop=4
        shiftwidth=4
    ~endwith

(note that I last looked at this a few decades ago when most of
my work was in C... recollection is fuzzy).

i.e., edit with C format for strings endin in ".c", ".h", and ".xs"
a.k.a. m{ [.] ( [ch]|xs ) $}x.

Q: Why would these get caught on "*.conf" basenames?

Thanks

--
Steven Lembark                                      5725 Aylesboro Ave
Workhorse Computing                                Pittsburgh PA 15217