Well it's not entirely off topic, it's about something that works as
I'd expect it to in vile (and less) but doesn't work right in mutt (my
E-Mail program of choice).

The issue is about how long chunks of text, with no spaces in them,
are wrapped when they are too long to fit in the terminal width.  The
typical case (and the one that is a particular problem in mutt) is
that of long URLs.  This *isn't* about how these programs manage
wrapping normal text made up of 'words' with spaces in between.

In less or vile when there is a long piece of text and you have told
less/vile to wrap long lines then the long URL (or whatever) is
displayed wrapped at the right margin but it is still a single string
and you can select it in the terminal by right clicking on it.

In mutt (in mutt's internal pager specifically) however, although the
URL is displayed the same (i.e. wrapped at the right margin) it's
actually broken into one or more lines and you *can't* select it by
right clicking on it, you just get the single line that you click on.

This has been discussed at length at various times on the mutt mailing
list and hasn't been solved.

Is there some specific way of using/calling ncurses which does what we
want?  ... and/or does ncurses default to breaking the string at the
page margin and need some option to prevent it doing this?

I'm floundering a bit at understanding this as I'm not really sure
it's an ncurses issue but it does seem to be pretty much the same
regardless of other things.  I use /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal but the
same happens to lots of other people and I have tried other terminal
emulators and seen no change.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

--
Chris Green