On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 02:35:18PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I run vile on several systems, up until now they have been 'my'
> systems where vile is installed in /usr with config files in
> /usr/share/vile.
>
> However I have just installed vile on a system (my cPanel hosting
> site) where I just have a user account.  I built vile very quickly and
> easily to install it in my home directory.
>
> The (minor) problem is that I have a .vilerc that I share across all
> systems that currently does "source /usr/share/vile/filters.rc", this
> obviously doesn't work on the new system where it should be "source
> ~/share/vile/filters.rc".
>
> I'd rather not have a custom .vilerc if I can avoid it, is there any
> way to code conditionally in the .vilerc to test where the filters.rc
> file is?  Something like:-
>
>     if exists /usr/share/vile/filters.rc
>         source /usr/share/vile/filters.rc
>     else
>         source ~/share/vile/filters.rc
>     fi

I think I have come up with an OK solution anyway.

Change the line in .vilerc from:-

    source /usr/share/vile/filters.rc

to:-

    source filters.rc

This works fine on my existing systems as the filters are in the
default place.

Then, on the new system where filters.rc (and other files) are in
~/share/vile I set VILE_STARTUP_PATH to point at them.  I already have
a mechanism for adding custom .bashrc bits and pieces so this fits in
nicely.

The only question that remains is why didn't "./configure --prefix=$HOME"
set the default place for the filters files?

--
Chris Green