I have a file, called .editfile which contains just a filename, e.g.:-

    chris$ cat .editfile
    /srv/wiki/data/pages/telecoms/umidigi.txtchris$
    chris$

When I open the file with vile or xvile I see (as expected) the
filename and I can enter ^X-e to edit the file.

However if I try the following:-

    chris$ vile -ce .editfile

I don't get to edit the file whose name is in .editfile, I get
.editfile in one window and the following in the other window
(named [Binding List] :-

    [Reading /home/chris/.vilerc]
    [Read 66 lines from "../.vilerc"]
    [Reading /usr/share/vile/filters.rc]
    [Reading /usr/share/vile/modes.rc]
    [Reading /usr/share/vile/digraphs.rc]
    [Reading /home/chris/wiki/.editfile]
    [Read 1 line from "./.editfile"]

Is there any way I can get this to work as I want?  I just want to
open the file whose name is in .editfile.

I've tried the alternatives of 'edit-file', 'E', 'e' and 'find-file'
but they all act the same.

--
Chris Green