Hi all - sorry, I've been very engaged with the discussion on rank... I'd
like to offer some words from Jonathan Kay an English fool and teacher which
i think are relevant to the discusion:

"In workshops I am asking people to go to a metaphorical heart. A
metaphorical centre, which is usually dictated over by a dictator, who
doesn't enable the fool to arrive. But the fool is the thing which the king
or queen will eventually hear about - he's knocking about in the pubs or
whatever - and eventually he'll be invited into the court. And the fool will
make the court alive, because up to that point it's full of dryness" (p.36)

"The fool is walking around and there will be something about the fool that
the dictator cannot avoid. Which is that the fool loves them. And that is
someting that the dictator does not understand. So will want to banish it.
For the fool is unrepresented in any hierarchy yet is represented in every
heart. Which is why the fool can talk with everyone. because the fool talks
to the fool in each person. Wheras the dictator talks to the dictator in
each person." (p43)

(quoted in Chris Johnston: House of games: Making Theatre from Everyday
Life: Nick Hern Books/Routledge 1998)

Midi - because I'm on the other string too it's interesting to see you
reflecting on your role here - feels right to me because it gives a
distance... I don't wany to comment here but to leave it to others who are
perhaps not involved in the other discussion.

love

Franc