On 5/7/06, Eric Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/7/06, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/7/06, Eric Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Can you clarify coulpe of points.
>
> 1.
> a) Is this event fired when getchar() or vim extract event
>     from typeahead buffer for processing ?, or

yes

> b) only when getchar() is invoked ? , or
> c) when the char is  inserted into typeahead buffer ?
> Can you clarify this ?
>
> 2. The docs patch says:
>
> +                                                Changing |v:getchar|
> +                               changes the value returned by the
> +                               |getchar()|function.
>
> I don't understand why this sentence doesn't mention that
> 'Changing |v:getchar| changes the value returned by the getchar() or seen by
> vim when vim read characters from typeahead buffer for processing',
> because it follows from your other examples that changing
> v:getchar can change which char vim will see ?

Correct.  It actually changes what is returned by  vgetc()  .  I
should reword it.

Can I assign to  v:getchar a string like "\<F1>" ?

What happens if I assign longer string like "abc" to v:getchar ?
Will vim see only 'a', or vim will see eventually also 'b' and 'c' ?

Can I assign something to v:getchar to tell it "drop this
character, as if there is no input" ?

Yakov