> > > OK, I see what you mean.  After using CTRL-L it shouldn't unselect the
> > > item.
> >
> > Ok good. However, I don't see why the item shouldn't be selected in the
> > first place (as you type), like it was before. It seems like there was
> > no harm in this, and also you can just hit <c-y> rather than <c-n><c-y>.
> > And you could also start hitting <c-l> without having to hit <down>
> > first.
>
> It's this way because people mentioned that CTRL-N didn't get the first
> entry but the second one.  I think it's not illogical that when you use
> "longest" that you get the longest common text and no entry selected
> yet.

Not a single IDE has the kind of completion system where the entry isn't
selected as you type it. It's a speed convenience, that you can hit
enter at any time to insert the entry into text. With Vim, I could hit
<c-l> to keep completing, or <c-y> to select. I don't feel like having
to type <c-n> before either of those two. It's too time consuming and
annoying. Doesn't anyone agree? Who disagrees?

--Matt