Pádraig Brady wrote:
Adam Young wrote:
Hello,
 I would like to upgrade my version of gvim (6.3) to version 7. I am
a Ubuntu newbie; does anyone have any advice on the easiest way to do
this?

http://www.freshnet.it/wordpress/blog/2006/05/24/vim-7-for-ubuntu-dapper-e-breezy/

(Moving to vim-dev list.)

Thanks for the link. I managed to install Vim 7

Now, what packages do I need to build a Gnome binary on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper)? It's years since I last ran Linux, so I'm fumbling around.

I've obtained the Vim7 sources through Subversion. Here's what I get when I run ./configure:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for library containing strerror... none required
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for strip... strip
configure: checking for buggy tools...
- sh is    'GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.' - probably OK.
- sed is    'GNU sed version 4.1.4
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.'.
checking for BeOS... no
checking for QNX... no
checking for Darwin (Mac OS X)... no
checking --with-vim-name argument... Defaulting to vim
checking --with-ex-name argument... Defaulting to ex
checking --with-view-name argument... Defaulting to view
checking --with-global-runtime argument... no
checking --with-modified-by argument... no
checking if character set is EBCDIC... no
checking --with-features argument... Defaulting to normal
checking --with-compiledby argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp argument... no
checking --disable-xsmp-interact argument... no
checking --enable-mzschemeinterp argument... no
checking --enable-perlinterp argument... no
checking --enable-pythoninterp argument... no
checking --enable-tclinterp argument... no
checking --enable-rubyinterp argument... no
checking --enable-cscope argument... no
checking --enable-workshop argument... no
checking --disable-netbeans argument... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking whether compiling netbeans integration is possible... yes
checking --enable-sniff argument... no
checking --enable-multibyte argument... no
checking --enable-hangulinput argument... no
checking --enable-xim argument... defaulting to auto
checking --enable-fontset argument... no
checking for xmkmf... /usr/bin/xmkmf
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers in standard search path
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
Corrected X includes to /usr/X11R6/include
checking if X11 header files can be found... yes
checking for _XdmcpAuthDoIt in -lXdmcp... no
checking for IceOpenConnection in -lICE... no
checking for XpmCreatePixmapFromData in -lXpm... no
checking if X11 header files implicitly declare return values... no
checking --enable-gui argument... yes/auto - automatic GUI support
checking whether or not to look for GTK... yes
checking whether or not to look for GTK+ 2... yes
checking whether or not to look for GNOME... no
checking whether or not to look for Motif... yes
checking whether or not to look for Athena... yes
checking whether or not to look for neXtaw... yes
checking whether or not to look for Carbon... yes
checking --with-gtk-prefix argument... no
checking --with-gtk-exec-prefix argument... no
checking --disable-gtktest argument... gtk test enabled
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for gtk12-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 2.2.0... yes; found version 2.8.17
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h usability... no
checking X11/SM/SMlib.h presence... no
checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... no
checking X11/xpm.h usability... no
checking X11/xpm.h presence... no
checking for X11/xpm.h... no
checking X11/Sunkeysym.h usability... yes
checking X11/Sunkeysym.h presence... yes
checking for X11/Sunkeysym.h... yes
checking for XIMText in X11/Xlib.h... yes
X GUI selected; xim has been enabled
checking quality of toupper... good
checking whether __DATE__ and __TIME__ work... yes
checking elf.h usability... yes
checking elf.h presence... yes
checking for elf.h... yes
checking for main in -lelf... no
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking stdlib.h usability... yes
checking stdlib.h presence... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking string.h usability... yes
checking string.h presence... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
checking termcap.h usability... no
checking termcap.h presence... no
checking for termcap.h... no
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sgtty.h usability... yes
checking sgtty.h presence... yes
checking for sgtty.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking termio.h usability... yes
checking termio.h presence... yes
checking for termio.h... yes
checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... yes
checking langinfo.h presence... yes
checking for langinfo.h... yes
checking unistd.h usability... yes
checking unistd.h presence... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking stropts.h usability... yes
checking stropts.h presence... yes
checking for stropts.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/systeminfo.h usability... no
checking sys/systeminfo.h presence... no
checking for sys/systeminfo.h... no
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking sys/stream.h usability... no
checking sys/stream.h presence... no
checking for sys/stream.h... no
checking sys/ptem.h usability... no
checking sys/ptem.h presence... no
checking for sys/ptem.h... no
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking libc.h usability... no
checking libc.h presence... no
checking for libc.h... no
checking sys/statfs.h usability... yes
checking sys/statfs.h presence... yes
checking for sys/statfs.h... yes
checking poll.h usability... yes
checking poll.h presence... yes
checking for poll.h... yes
checking sys/poll.h usability... yes
checking sys/poll.h presence... yes
checking for sys/poll.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking utime.h usability... yes
checking utime.h presence... yes
checking for utime.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking libgen.h usability... yes
checking libgen.h presence... yes
checking for libgen.h... yes
checking util/debug.h usability... no
checking util/debug.h presence... no
checking for util/debug.h... no
checking util/msg18n.h usability... no
checking util/msg18n.h presence... no
checking for util/msg18n.h... no
checking frame.h usability... no
checking frame.h presence... no
checking for frame.h... no
checking sys/acl.h usability... no
checking sys/acl.h presence... no
checking for sys/acl.h... no
checking sys/access.h usability... no
checking sys/access.h presence... no
checking for sys/access.h... no
checking sys/sysctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysctl.h... yes
checking sys/sysinfo.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysinfo.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysinfo.h... yes
checking wchar.h usability... yes
checking wchar.h presence... yes
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking wctype.h usability... yes
checking wctype.h presence... yes
checking for wctype.h... yes
checking for pthread_np.h... no
checking strings.h usability... yes
checking strings.h presence... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking if strings.h can be included after string.h... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for off_t... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for ino_t... yes
checking for dev_t... yes
checking for rlim_t... yes
checking for stack_t... yes
checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
no terminal library found
checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
     You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
     Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
--
/George V. Reilly