James Vega wrote:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:30:32PM +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
James Vega wrote:
On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:10:21PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
Isn't there a cross-compiler for producing cygwin executables from
Linux?
There is a cross-compiler for producing Windows native executables.
It's mingw and that was what I used to produce binaries of the vim7
pre-release before I found Tony's site.  I'm not sure if it can be used
to create cygwin executables.

James
MinGW runs on Windows with Unix-like tools, doesn't it?

Yes, that's one use of MinGW, but there is also a linux->win32
cross-compiler.  Your distribution may have packages.  The MinGW wiki
also has a HOWTO[0] for building the cross-compiler from their tools.

James
[0]
http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/build%20a%20Win32%20x-compiler%20for%20Linux
My distribution has lots of packages; but searching in yast2 among all (installed and uninstalled) packages for "Name/Summary/Description Contains mingw (case-insensitive)" gives: Null result. Similarly, rpm -qa |grep mingw (which IIUC searches only the names of installed packages) also gives nothing.

I see that wiki but I'm not anymore enough of a guru to be certain that it will not clobber my installation of gcc for Linux. If it seems simple to you, why don't you do it yourself? I imagine (maybe in error, but...) that there are so many things that could go wrong... If I could do it successfully on Windows, it was thaks to Steve Hall, who paved the way for me, compiled a number of versions (starting at 6.1 or earlier), published his own "HowTo" which I could follow but also (maybe more important) understand the procedure and vary it to make it flow smoothly to generate the 4 executabvles I wished foor... Then he stopped compiling for a time and I started publishing builds for every patch. Later I disappeared from the scene and he took back the flag. Let him keep it. His self-installers are neater than anything I could produce; and I would start with the handicap of starting from scratch again, learning by hit-and-miss again (and probably getting many more misses than hits, at least at first).

Please, let me concentrate my efforts on Vim versions whose proper workings I can check. If anyone on Windows is not content with Steve Hall's build (7.0.017 at the moment), I will (if needed) help him compile his own; but that cross-compiling stuff sounds to me like much ado about very little...

Best regards,
Tony.