Mathias Michaelis wrote:

> >> Patch
> >> Problem:    Make_mvc.mak creates an empty gvim.exe.mnf file
> >>             (or stops with an error message).
> >> Solution:   Don't use 'echo' to create files. Use inline files
> >>             instead.
> >> Files:      src/Make_mvc.mak
> >
> > This has always worked just fine.  When does it fail?
> >
> The gvim.exe.mnf always was empty -- but as George Reilly (who made
> the skipt) told me, it is only used for 64-Bit Windows.

Strange, the echo commands for the pathdef.c file have always worked just
fine.

> On the other hand, the error message ("FATAL error: echo returned
> '1'") was only issued from time to time, depending on the commands I
> typed in before. However, the message appeared in a reproducible
> manner if I issued the nmake command from within a BATCH file.

This smells like a bug in nmake.

> I checked the documentation of nmake from VC 8.0 (VS 2005) and from
> VC 6.0 to see if inline files can be handled. Since it is possible
> and since I can compile Vim _only_ like that, I'm pretty sure this
> patch facilitate the life of many users.
>
> My environment: Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.
>
> C:>cmd -version
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>
> C:>nmake /?
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Before including this change I would have to check the file still works
with old versions of MSVC.  I still need to use 4.1 to be able to
generate a win32s version.

--
Futility Factor: No experiment is ever a complete failure - it can always
serve as a negative example.