Bram

> Thanks for the correction of the typos.

It's a pleasure!

>> + Another possibility is to use the gnuwin32 port of gettext. This is
>> + recommended especially if you use already gnuwin32 tools to gunzip, bunzip,
>> + patch etc. these files. You find the gnuwin32 version of gettext here:
>> +
>> +         http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gettext.htm
>> +
>> + Yet another very strait forward way is to get the sources of gettext from
>> +
>> +         http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html
>> +
>> + and build your own version of these tools. The documentation states that
>> this
>> + should be possible with MSVC4.0, MSVC5.0, MSVC6.0 or MSVC7.0, but you can
>> + build it even successfully with MSVC8.0.
>>
> Did you try these versions?  I recall there were problems with some
> ported versions of gettext and tools, but perhaps these are fixed by
> now.

Yes. I do all my work with gnuwin32. I once compiled gettext with
the Visual C++ Toolkit, and yet it works well. With the new Visual
2005 Express Edition (VCEE) you must handle the .manifest files in a
similar way as in one of my patches of gvimext.dll. But I didn't
make expensive tests with the gettext package compiled by VCEE.

The gnuwin32 version as well as the version I once compiled with VC
Toolkit of the msgfmt tool has one little problem: I can
successfully compile all po files of Vim to mo files -- with one
exception:

   msgfmt -o "vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis\LC_MESSAGES\vim.mo" \
     "vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis.po"

says:

   vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis.po:61:23: invalid control sequence
   vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis.po:208:18: invalid control sequence
   [...]
   vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis.po:1544:34: invalid control sequence
   vim\vim70\src\po\ja.sjis.po:1566:20: invalid control sequence
   msgfmt: too many errors, aborting

But since the official vim70lang.zip file also doesn't contain a
ja.sjis language I thought this behaviour of msgfmt is normal. When
I run the Vim version compiled myself on a German computer, all
menus and messages are German.

With best regards

Mathias