On 7/26/06, Marc Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marc,
> In case you are talking X11:
> D you have x11 authorization enabled or disabled ?
I've been taking x11.
I did modify xhost because I wanted a php script be able to launch vim.
But I've restarted X now and xhost - shows the same as xhost. It still
works.

So <c-r>system('xhost') inserts:
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

But I'm not sure.. wether I've enabled localhost..
Anyway, should this be possible?
I mean root and "somesuer" should be able to connect to X without
somesuer beeing able to run root tasks using --remote-send.. by default.

> If your access control is disabled, then can you try 'xhost -' (turn
> access control on) and repeat your check ? What you describe
> can not happen, AFAIK, when x11 access control is enabled.

I've looked at vim code once.. On x it's using some weired gtk hack.. To
do this stuff.

I think you've tried it yourself and weren't able to reproduce it.. So I
think it's my setup only.

I am sure this thing, being potential security issue, awaits for
Bram's reaction and verdict. I just wanted to make sure that the
status of 'xhost' is mentioned wrt your setup, and to bring the
issue of 'xhost' into the picture.

With 'xhost +' (security disabled), yes, you can cross the borders and
invoke [potentially superuser] commands via vim clientserver. With 'xhost -'
(the default state), you can't. With 'xhost -' (security enabled),
I get this for your testcase:

 $ vim --servername GVIM --remote-send ':!ls'
 Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
 No display: Send failed.
 $ vim --serverlist
 Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

(vim is refused connection to x server. It can't send clientserver
commands w/o x connection.)

Can you confirm that with 'xhost -' you get same negative result as I ?

Yakov