Bill McCarthy wrote:

> To better understand what vimdiff is doing (and why it is so
> slow), I had my shell (4NT under WinXP) keep a log showing
> me just what was requested. [Note: I use '>!' instead of '>'
> for redirection because my 4NT is set to not overwrite
> existing files unless explicitly told to do so.]
>
> Invoking vimdiff with:  gvim -d file1 file2
>
> I can see that the following 3 shell requests are made:
>
>     diff -a VIo2A3F.tmp VIn2A40.tmp >!VId2A41.tmp
>     diff -a --binary VIo2A3F.tmp VIn2A40.tmp >!VId2A41.tmp
>     diff -a --binary VIo2A3F.tmp VIn2A40.tmp >!VId2A41.tmp
>
> The log shows about 4 seconds between commands.
>
> I would have thought that the first diff would provide
> enough information.  What is the purpose of the other two?

Vim first tests to see if executing diff works, with the -a and --binary
arguments.  Finally it does the actual diff.

This should take a fraction of a second.  4 seconds indicates that there
is something wrong in your setup.  Perhaps caused by 4NT.  Try using
another shell.

--
ARTHUR:  Bloody peasant!
DENNIS:  Oh, what a give away.  Did you here that, did you here that, eh?