Vim patches submitted by external submitters are either
'incorporated' or 'outsude of vim sources'. That's black-and-white.
I thought it's possible to add some intermediate state, where
'experimental-patch' is neither outside of vim nor inside-vim. This
is useful because people can try experimental patches easier,
with clear understandnig that they are trying experimental patches.
It can work as follows.

  (BTW I think Vince Negri conceal patch deserves this status.)

It can work as follows. Experimental patch is added as a _feature_
named 'x-*', say 'x-conceal'. It has it's #ifdef, FEAT_X_CONCEAL, and
none of x-* features are built by  'huge' (largest) built. The builder
needs to enable them manually with --enable-x-conceal or similar
configure flag.

To make it very clear that build includes experimental
features, the :version will have line seen from large distance:
     **** CONTAINS EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES *****

But then more people can try these experimental patches
and feedback on them, improve them, or report their uselessness.

Yakov