Yakov Lerner wrote:
I noticed that :redraw works differently from Ctrl-L in certain situations:

1) vim -u NONE
  :set laststatus=2 statusline ruler
  :help help            " get some text

2) Let's cause some screen mispaininting, so we can test :redraw:
   :silent! !echo aaa         " cause mispainted screen (this is ok)

3) :redraw             " ???? does not repaint anything
   :redraw
   :redraw
   " nope, does not repaint
4) Ctrl-L               "finally, works

Is it bug or feature, that :redraw does not repaint screen at step 3 ?

Yakov

works for me in the GUI: I don't see any change in the display after ":silent! !echo aaa".

I'm using gvim 7.0.101, huge build with GTK2-GNOME GUI, running on SuSE Linux 7.3.

Using the same build in console mode in a konsole window, ":silent! !echo aaa" makes the whole help text disappear, ":redraw", entered manually, doesn't make it reappear, ^L does.

Still with the same build but on the "non-X" linux text display, ":silent! !echo aaa" changes 'lines' from 47 to 64, making the bottom lines and the command-line disappear at the bottom of the screen. The help text doesn't disappear and I see a flicker which seems to indicate a spontaneous redraw. ":redraw" and ^L both repeat the flicker, but only ":set lines=47" brings my command-line area back into view.

Best regards,
Tony.