Nikolai Weibull wrote:
On 10/1/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> One thing that really annoys me with Vim is the limits it emposes on
> what names are legal for user-defined functions and commands.  I know
> the reason for these restrictions, but I don't think they make much
> sense, especially so for user-defined commands.  I realize that
> overriding :quit does have its implications, but done carefully, this
> does allow for some interesting effects.
>
> So, why not lift the restrictions on valid names for user-defined
> functions and commands?
>
> That is, give me good reasons for why they should be maintained and
> I'll drop this request.

Predictability.

As in what?  That :quit always works as documented?  Sure, that's
great, but if that's the problem, the restriction should be limited to
commands already defined.  And what happens when more commands are
added?  Hell, then they'll break the user-defined commands with the
same name.  Big deal; that's life, you'll get over it - everyone does,
eventually.

I really don't see the big difference between user-defined commands
clashing with built-in commands and user-defined commands clashing
with each other.  It'll happen; unless you start adding prefixes or
namespaces or some other way of separating your commands.  But then
you lose out on simplicity.  You don't want to type :NOWCommand (given
that "NOW" is "my" prefix), and I don't want to type :Command; I want
to type :command.

Sure, it only saves my fingers from giving up on me for so long, but
every little bit helps.

I guess my problem is that I want - and I've always wanted - the
flexibility of Emacs coupled with the simplicity and efficiency of
Vim's command set and modes.  I guess that's why I nitpick at things
such as this.

 nikolai

        :command -bar Command  ...
        :cabbrev command Command

and then you'll wonder why you can't define a new user-command but it's your funeral.

It's still not perfect though; the cabbrev will be expanded even if it's not at the start (but that may be not-so-bad if you use ":verbose command", ":vertical command", etc.)

Best regards,
Tony.