[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,
I've made a small fix to vim's zip plugin.
Before the patch, the plugin could only edit filenames with the zip extension.
When using an autoloadcmd to open jars, the files would be edited
correctly, but they would be saved at the wrong place, and would be
ignored when opening the archive they were saved to.
The plugin basically stripped the zip suffix in some places, and added
it back at some point, causing these problems. Now the plugin always
uses the full path.

Unfortunately, all three hunks were rejected by patch. In looking over them by eye, I see that all the issues have been previously taken care of.
For my scripts I've set up three release states:

 NOT RELEASED -- my latest version (labelled v[0-9]*[a-z], ex. v3b).
                 May be handed out to individuals while I'm attempting
                 to debug some problem they're having.  The version
                 number will remain fixed while the plugin is in this
                 state.  These versions of my plugins shouldn't get
                 generally released, but accidents happen.

 ASTRO-ONLY   -- a somewhat experimental version of my plugins, also
                 labelled with v[0-9]*[a-z] (ex. v3b).  These versions
                 have their trailing letter changed as they get
                 updated.  These versions appear on my website:
http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs

 <nothing>    -- the plugin has been released on vim.org (and concurrently
                 on my own website).  These versions drop the trailing
letters, having the format v[0-9]* (ex. v3). Those plugins
                 which Bram has picked up for vim releases have also been
                 forwarded to Bram.

In other words, I use the ASTRO-ONLY stage as a beta release, and NOT RELEASED as an alpha. Helps get the bugs out before its released to potentially thousands. It'll save you some time&effort if you check out the ASTRO-ONLY release before debugging some
problem -- it may have been addressed already!

I'm using this to edit firefox extensions directly inside their jar
files. I'm also attaching a patch that adds the required associations
(jar and xpi, I'm sure there are more).

This problem can be taken care of by the users themselves; if some additional extension is masquerading as a zip file, the users can simply place, in their .vimrc, for example, lines of the form used in your zip-associations.patch. I'm somewhat leery of providing autocmds for a lot of extensions. I think there are at least 5 or 6 such extensions, and who knows how many more. Every time there's an action for an extension, the likelihood increases that it will cause problems for someone who is using that extension for something else. Now, one thing I would have no problem doing is to provide a note about it in the pi_zip.txt help file.

Regards,
Chip Campbell