On Friday 29 December 2006 22:00, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> scott wrote:

> >> That paragraph is outdated. Gnome is now disabled by default. Use
> >> --enable-gnome-check if you want configure to include it in GTK builds
> >> if it finds it on your system.

> >> --enable-gnome-check causes Gnome _not_ to be disabled -- provided that
> >> you have Gnome and GTK, or Gnome2 and GTK2, installed. Without
> >> --enable-gnome-check, configure doesn't check for Gnome and doesn't
> >> include it even if you have it installed.
> >>

> >> Best regards,
> >> Tony.
> >
> > 'which vim' shows as /usr/local/bin for both myself and root -- the :ver
> > text indicates the same -- i have no reason to think they are different,
> > and i know they both use the same .vimrc and .gvimrc -- the ones on /root
> > are symbolic links to the ones on my home path -- further, :scriptnames
> > shows the same set of scripts loaded for both myself and root (with
> > menu.vim prominently mentioned)
> >
> > not sure if it's related, but :ver shows a huge version with GTK2-GNOME
> > (not GNOME2) -- i still find it weird that i don't get a menu and root
> > does
>
> Does your non-root login name have read permission on
> /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/menu.vim ? Or is your vimrc not created with
> root as owner? (check either file with ls -l )
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

menu.vim is owned by root -- i 'su' before performing the 'make install' --
but both group and other have read permission -- i verified by, as me,
starting a gvim session on that very module, no problem

the real .vimrc, on my home path, is owned by me -- the sybolic link to it
on /root is owned by root -- i have no evidence that either root or myself is
having problems reading .vimrc -- the app is coming up fine

i did notice the font of the menu that root does see is quite small -- i would
change it to a larger font if the menus were working for both accounts and if
i had any intention of really using the menu system

i occasionally turn the menu on when i want to see a list of available color
schemes for choosing from, which is what i was doing when i found out i'm
not getting the menu -- can't say how many versions/patches i've gone through
before finding this out -- i use it *very* seldom -- it just bothers me that i
can't get a menu when i ask for one now

--
scott