Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> maybe I've overlooked something in configure.in, but to me it seems that
> it is impossible to compile vim7 without searching /usr/local/include
> and /usr/local/lib.
>
> Thing is, on solaris fex, if iconv.h is found in /usr/local/include,
> /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so get linked too.
> But the rpath for libiconv.so.3 does not get encoded into the binary,
> and I really don't want to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (hmm, maybe this should
> be in system loader path).
>
> Additionally, I also want to be able to compile completely independent
> of /usr/local, with a gcc built --with-local-prefix=/another/prefix, and
> with libiconv and others from that prefix.
>
> So I have two new requirements for the /usr/local search:
>
> 1) Of course, I want to keep the default as is.
> 2) completely disable adding /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib
> 3) set a different path to be used instead of /usr/local
>
> Attached is a patch for src/configure.in to accept "--with-local-prefix"
> flag, which solves above requirements:
>
> 1) default: do not pass any --with-local-prefix argument.
> 2) disable: use --without-local-prefix or even --with-local-prefix=no
> 3) change:  use --with-local-prefix=/another/prefix

It make sense to support using another directory than
/usr/local/[lib|include].

It appears that after your patch have_local_include and have_local_lib
are set to "yes" without checking gcc.  The test for gcc with "grep"
should also use ${local_prefix} instead of /usr/local.

I'm missing documentation, especially for the "no" value.

--
If someone questions your market projections, simply point out that your
target market is "People who are nuts" and "People who will buy any damn