Hi,

You are correct, I was thinking of this the other way around. My suggestion would only be "security" in the sense that someone reading over your shoulder would be prevented from seeing sensitive content in the file (e.g. passwords) and would really only be an extension to folding. No change would be made to the file on disk (e.g. the file would need to be secured on disk using some other external mechanism).

this can already been done with g?$ (or g?a{ )...so if you only want to protect your data from people looking over your shoulders, that's already there.

Nico