Mike Williams wrote:

> >> Attached is a patch to use VC8 specific optimization options.  FTR, VC8
> >> no longer supports the /Gn processor code generation directive, and the
> >> makefile now uses link time code generation when not optimizing for space.
> >
> > Although MS keeps changing the arguments, the new ones mostly get used
> > again in future versions.  Thus this check:
> >
> >  + !if "$(_NMAKE_VER)" != "8.00.50727.42"
> >
> > Should probably check if the version is greater than or smaller than
> > this specific number.  At least do the comparing with this specific
> > number once and pass the result to further "if"s.
>
> Proposal #2 - now derives VC version from _NMAKE_VER.  Updated a couple
> of checks for VC4 so the file is a bit more more self documenting.

Thanks, looks much better.

I wonder what "<" actually does.  Is it a textual compare?  Perhaps you
can try out if using ">" or "<" works to avoid these magic build
numbers.  Some people must have different builds (otherwise they
wouldn't include these numbers, right?).

--
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be
misquoted, then used against you.