John Beckett wrote:
Marc Weber wrote:
Make an easy way to encrypt a secret within a line.
Then you can have a simple text file to document stuff, with
embedded secrets. On reading, you only need to enter a key if you
want to see a secret.

I don't think this should be a general vim feature either.
Yet another idea to solve this:
Why not use syntax and set forgground/background color to the same value
to hide the text? Then you don't even notice that there is text.

OK - I'm convinced that EncryptLine is not wanted!

However, I want the secret to really be encrypted because I use
a system to copy my data files from machine to machine for
backups. The encryption is to protect the secret if someone
somehow gets access to the file.

John

What is wrong with SCP/SFTP? If these are not available, externally encrypt the file. You can even make a vim macro to do the job IIRC.

Text editors don't do encryption and never should.

-Robert