On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:04:10PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:

> > It's about time termcap/terminfo gets updated to support the
> > features we need, instead of hacking solutions in all programs.  I'm
> > afraid I don't have time for this (the original development of
> > termcap was closely related to the early development of vi).
>
> But you already have hacked support into your programs for mouse
> support. Now that you've done that, couldn't you just open it up a
> bit? Is there anything wrong with always recognizing the appropriate
> xterm sequences (provided that they don't first match a valid terminfo
> entry)? This is the approach that elinks seems to take, and I don't
> see any particular reason why vim couldn't do this as well.
>
> I agree that fixing terminfo is the right solution, but that doesn't
> mean you shouldn't hack the working solution in now. You have already
> done so, or you wouldn't have any mouse support for the various
> xterm-like consoles in the first place.
>
> I'd be happy to write the patch (it should be pretty straightforward);
> I just want to get some agreement on the correct action to take.

I for one would *love* to see this. I use mrxvt all the time. The
terminal codes for mrxvt are somewhere between xterm and rxvt, thus
mrxvt should have its own terminal type. However a *lot* of programs
(including Vim and w3m) simply refuse to use the mouse if the terminal
name is not "rxvt" or "xterm".

The ugly hack used my mrxvt right now is to install it's terminfo entry
under the name "rxvt"!

Numerous mrxvt users have complained about this. It would be nice if
things could be made to work correctly with other terminals.

GI

PS: Mrxvt's mouse reporting is the same as the old xterm style mouse
    reporting.

--
Reading while sunbathing makes you well-red.