Santhalus wrote:
> Are these (LIKE 'VimTip%') all we want to exclude?
> We have to make sure that only valid tip pages are selected.
> Is this possible a category page/template or user pages will
> get selected or are they in another namespace which is
> excluded from 'Random page'?

In brief: the line I posted should do exactly what we want.

More detail: Clicking random page returns a page in the main namespace that
is not a redirect.

One way to see the namespaces is to visit:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Allpages

The drop-down namespace list shows all our namespaces. The "(Main)"
namespace means there is no prefix before the page title. By contrast, for
example, the URL for a page in the "Template" namespace has the page title
prefixed by "Template:".

The fact that Special:Allpages lists separate namespaces for the items you
mention (category, template, user) confirms that they are not in the main
namespace, and so will not be found by clicking 'random page'.

I suggest that we take Angela's offer to make the change. She says it's
simple to do. I'm pretty sure it will work. We can see what happens!

However, it would be nice if a couple of people would reply and say "yes
please" (or disagree with a reason).

John