On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:01:48AM +1000, John Beckett wrote:
> I'm planning to remove that category to simplify our VimTipNr pages
> (which we have to edit when a tip is renamed). AFAIK the category
> serves no useful purpose. I'll use my bot to do this if there is no
> objection before next Saturday.

Excellent.

> Carpetsmoker has expressed the view that VimTipNr pages (and maybe
> tip numbers?) are not needed at all (except for the link from Bram's
> web site). I'm beginning to see some sense in that argument.
> Originally, many tip titles were totally hopeless (long, misspelt,
> misleading), and we really needed tip numbers as a shorthand (apart
> from their tradition). I'm not ready to explore a proposal to remove
> tip numbers yet, but if anyone wants to add an opinion, please do
> so.
Well, ID's are not easy to remember, and having two titles for every
page is even more difficult to remember.

Tell me, what is easier and more user-friendly:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1312
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/256_colors_in_vim

The only reason I can think of to keep the VimTipNr pages for now is
to maintain compatibility with the original Tip site.

Would it be possible to write a script that will rename all VimTipNr
links to their proper names? I think it would be much easier and
consistent...

Regards,
Martin ("Carpetsmoker")